Purpose

I will try my best to provide detailed info on various cars and what is like to live with them, I have already produced a few for Jaguar-car-forums, I will do my best to be unbiased, but it will be hard for some cars. I will re-produce press releases and copy from other motoring news.

Sunday 13 January 2013

Are Citroen going "Normal"


In a recent report on the AUTOCAR (3click)  Website I can see why they could be doing this, at the end of the day making money is the only thing that matters, otherwise it will fail, I would rather see Citroen go this route for a few years, have the company turn around, and then maybe put a toe back in the quirky market again.
Every time they say Citroen is Quirky the only cars that come to mind are the 2CV and the original DS, this shows that they have been heading down the normal route for many years, they have had nothing that matches either cars, The DS was light years ahead of it's time and the 2CV was built in an era where you could get away with that sort of thing.
Citroen 2CV
Citroen DS
We have seen old cars get the modern remake, like the Beetle and Mini, again, neither of these cars holds a candle to the originals, in fact the Mini gets berated all the time for being more Maxi than Mini, I love the Beetle, I think it is a great 21st Century version of the original, I cant see a 2CV for todays market without it having to be changed too much to accommodate all the regulations and safety equipment that is required now.
Citroen C4
Citroen DS3
The current DS range of cars are great, they can afford to be a bit daring with these, they are based on the bread and butter C range so costs are reduced, yet prices are higher, this is what they should be doing, more profits, I am not sure about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is the Pug brand having all the losses and Citroen are doing ok.
Citroen SM
In recent times, the only Citroen to have the quirky tag is the Pluriel, a name that some changed to Pleurisy, a lung disorder, but i digress, the Pluriel, was quirky, weird and just downright different from anything else on the market,  from July 2003 to 2010 teh Pluriel was the only car that you could have a full or partial convertible or fully enclosed, the detachable roof bars made this possible, is this the last true Citroen. 
I  really have a soft spot for many Citroens, the BX, the Dyane, CX, GS, XM and SM to name but a very few, I just hope that this new road that Citroen are going down is a temporary things to get on a steady track and then we will have something that we can add to the great cars of the past.
Citroen BX
Citroen Dyane
Citroen XM

What do you think, do you think that Citroen are doing the right thing, do they need to go mainstream and forgo the past, and dare I say just be reshelled Peugeots, or should they persevere and continue in the same vein and keep the quirky cars that we have become so accustomed to from Citroen in the past, please feel free to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, I will verify them swiftly, Sorry to have to do this now as some twat keeps spamming my message system, unfortunately they are ignorant and spoil it for everyone else,

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.