- World premiere of the I.D. starts the countdown to a new era for Volkswagen
- Volkswagen plans for the visionary I.D. to hit the road in 2020
Friday, 30 September 2016
PARIS - Volkswagen premiere's the I.D., a Zero Emissions vehicle that, by 2015 will be fully autonomous.
An ambassador: the I.D. is the first Volkswagen of a new fleet of electric cars
It runs and runs: the I.D. has a range of 400 to 600 kilometres
Ready for the future: the I.D. concept car demonstrates a fully automated mode for the year 2025
1. I.D. is the first Volkswagen in a completely new fleet of highly innovative electric vehicles.
2. I.D. is immediately recognisable as a zero-emission vehicle thanks to a newly developed design DNA for electric cars.
3. I.D. is driven by an electric motor with an output of 125 kW and has a range of between 400 and 600 kilometres on a single battery charge.
4. I.D. has an interior that offers an entirely new spatial experience with the Open Space.
5. I.D. will be launched as a compact electric car in 2020 parallel to the Golf.
6. As a concept car, I.D. gives us a first tangible glimpse of fully automated driving - this mode will be offered from 2025 onwards.
7. I.D. retracts its multifunction steering wheel into the dashpad when in fully automated mode ("I.D. Pilot").
8. I.D. can receive parcels using a new delivery service, if its owner isn't at home.
9. I.D. is the first compact Volkswagen based on the Modular Electric Drive Kit (MEB).
10. Volkswagen has set itself the goal of selling a million electric cars a year by 2025.
Think New. - Volkswagen sets a course for the future
Volkswagen is embarking on its journey to the future at the Paris Motor Show with the world premiere of the visionary I.D.: I.D. is a highly automated electric car that will cover a distance of 400 to 600 kilometres on a single battery charge.
The production version of the I.D. is due to be launched in 2020 at a price on a par with comparably powerful and well-equipped Golf, but Volkswagen is looking even further ahead with this concept car: in "I.D. Pilot" mode, the electric car is capable of fully automated driving - this technology should be ready for series production in 2025.
Volkswagen has also set itself the goal of selling a million electric cars a year by 2025; the production version of the I.D. will make a decisive contribution towards this in the ramp-up of e-mobility.
I.D. - electric vehicle with the potential to become a best-seller
A vehicle concept for a new era. I.D. is Volkswagen's first compact concept car based on the new MEB vehicle architecture. MEB stands for "Modularer Elektrifizierungsbaukasten" ("Modular Electric Drive Kit") - and it was conceived for pure electric drive. The ground-breaking MEB thus corresponds with the key mobility requirements of the future. This is why the newly defined vehicle architecture of the I.D. is considered to be a milestone in the car development by Volkswagen AG, while at the same time provide the basis for the development of many more all-electric cars. The concept behind the I.D. guarantees the best possible ride comfort, optimum use of space, maximum safety and ground-breaking sustainability, thus redefining the parameters of "drive", "space" and "comfort". This is underlined by:
Connected Community - the new Volkswagen ID
I.D. knows who'll be at the wheel today. The idea is that anyone who drives a Volkswagen in the future will be given their own Volkswagen ID. The ID is an individual profile, in which the personal seat and air conditioning settings, the favourite radio stations and songs, the sound system settings, the exterior sounds, the configuration of the navigation system, and the type of ambient lighting, as well as the contact details of the driver's friends and business associates, are saved. This profile can be securely accessed via the cloud, enabling the I.D. to recognise the legitimate user by their smartphone - the Digital Key - and know who is about to get behind the wheel.
Iconic Design - e-mobility made visible
Klaus Bischoff, Head of Design, Volkswagen Brand
"Before we first put pen to paper on the drawing board for the I.D. project, we debated the topic of 'Mobility in the future' at length. It is clear that the car of the future, and thus the mobile space, will be a place of communication more than ever before. The Open Space in the I.D. is just such a place."
Intuitive Usability - welcome to Open Space
Hop in! Digital Key and I.D. pave the way ahead. As soon as you approach the car, the white lines of light in the surface of the door handles light up. If the person's hand comes up close to the handle, the line of light pulsates and the handle extends from the body and the door can be opened as normal.
Smart Sustainability - a range of between 400 and 600 kilometres
MEB changes everything. The I.D. is the first compact Volkswagen based on the newly developed Modular Electric Drive Kit - or MEB. The future MEB models will be cars that are only available with purely electric drive. This approach to the design results in a range of advantages, in particular with regard to the package - the layout of the powertrain components, the ancillary equipment and the interior features. The I.D.'s zero-emission drive system consists primarily of the electric motor and the power electronics and transmission integrated in the rear axle, a space-saving high-voltage flat battery in the floor of the car and ancillary equipment integrated in the front of the car.